Sunday, April 12, 2009

Eggs and All Things Living

An Easter Basket full of wrap dresses! You can look forward to these and lots of other new listings in the coming days on my etsy shop. Also, I'm having my annual Earth Day Sale the week of April 19-25!
Hooray-It's Spring!!! People everywhere are celebrating fertility and the miracle of new life!!! Here in rural Michigan, it is a beautiful Easter Day, and while my family are all in a jelly bean coma, I can take the time to post the wonders of the last few days.So "The Bunny" aka the Easter Bunny, visited my garden and left us a nest of furry babies. These baby rabbits are very popular with the children for countless reasons... Such an incredible affirmation of Spring.

The whole family have gotten their hands dirty this past week in the garden. The girls decided to have their own beds and have discussed the pros and cons of growing "yucky" versus "yummy foods in their alloted spaces. I savored every moment of Lily pulling weeds, getting her small hands dirty, exclaiming at every worm, and Luna agreeing with her when she repeatedly sighed, "This is hard work!" It is so much fun to be growing along side such lovely people! Luna has a bin of seed potatoes which we've just begun planting, and the indoor seedlings are ready to be transplanted this week into larger pots. We have kale coming back from last year and have planted lettuces, radishes, spinach, mesclun, and more kale in our newly renovated boxes. Joe has been awesome in manpower- he finished the bean and pea trellises, spread the compost, emptied every wheelbarrow I've managed to fill, and blindly trusts my cardboard mulch methods (almost).

Soon I'll have photos of asparagas pushing their delicious spears up through the soil, big bulbs of fennel, and hopefully some delicately climbing pea vines!